Career Pathways Volunteer
BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 45 countries and 29 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home. Domestically, our 29 offices across the U.S. ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing, and work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency.
SCOPE OF WORK:
The IRC’s Career Pathways program assists clients to obtain professional jobs within the fields of Healthcare, Administration, Finance, Security, Construction/Engineering, IT, and Transportation. The position will assist in implementing IRC career training, connecting clients with technical off-site career training, and assisting the Career Development staff in ensuring that participants secure professional employment. Position could support general responsibilities, advanced career training, and generalist roles depending on program needs and placement strengths.
General responsibilities could include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Use assessments to gauge client strengths, weaknesses, and proficiencies
- Support or lead weekly client workshops on topics such as resume building, professional writing, job application, interviewing, and networking
- Assist clients in building and editing resumes, preparing cover letters, and completing job applications
- Assist clients in navigating scholarships and other financial support opportunities to help clients enroll in and complete training and recertification programs
- Review and edit client work such as homework, professional writing, and financial aid applications
- Assist in building out employment networks for clients including attending job fairs and researching & reaching out to employers
To thrive in this role, you need:
- Professional work experience preferred
- Experience teaching or tutoring, working in small groups, and comfort with 1-on-1 instruction
- Comfort providing advice in alignment with IRC program guidelines and client career development plan
- Availability during scheduled training times which can include mornings and late afternoons (during and after business hours)
- Previous multi-cultural experience and demonstrated ability to communicate well with people of varied backgrounds strongly preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite required
- Base understanding of the job market in professional sectors
- Education: BA degree minimum
- Solid teaching & mentoring experience
This position reports to the Career Development staff.
- This is an unpaid position.
- Driving is preferred but not required. Work related driving is eligible for reimbursement at the charitable mileage rate.
Complete an online application at https://irc-global.my.salesforce-sites.com/volunteer AND Handshake. Be sure to submit a resume to both Handshake and Salesforce. All volunteer and internship are part-time, unpaid positions. If your school requires any documentation or agreement for a volunteer or internship position, please reach out to the volunteer coordinator at email@example.com prior to the phone screening.