Experienced Fleet Mechanic
Salary Range:$25.00 To 28.00 Hourly
Do you have experience in fleet maintenance?
Do you have experience in automotive or diesel tech?
Do you want to continue to thrive and grow in your experience, training and education?
Want to help the City of Leawood’s Fleet Maintenance division thrive?
THE CITY OF LEAWOOD, KANSAS is looking for an
Experienced Fleet Mechanic
Why you should apply to be a part of the Public Works Fleet Team at the City of Leawood as a Fleet Mechanic:
- The City of Leawood is in an exciting and dynamic period of growth and we are looking at expanding our Public Works Fleet Team.
- The Public Works Fleet Team strives for excellence in their service to each other, clients, fellow employees, the Governing Body and ultimately the citizens of Leawood.
Additional Information: The City of Leawood offers career development opportunities in which the employee could increase their experience, training, and pay. The position is eligible to receive merit based pay increases every year (merit increase up to 3.9% increase). Employees also receive a Time In Service Bonus every three years of employment on their anniversary date equal to 5% of their annual salary.
Summary of the Position: The Fleet Mechanic performs routine and preventative maintenance, diagnosing fleet maintenance issues and performs light repairs on City equipment and vehicles. Assists the Fleet Maintenance Supervisor in ensuring the safety and reliability of City owned equipment and vehicles.
General Overview of Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the routine and preventative maintenance on all City owned equipment and vehicles to ensure the equipment and vehicles are in working condition. Duties include but are not limited to completing safety and operational checks, adhering to maintenance schedules and completing necessary repairs to equipment. Equipment and vehicles include but are not limited to fleet trucks, trailers, weed eaters, and public safety vehicles.
- Responsible for maintaining and updating work orders and keeping the Fleet Maintenance Supervisor or designee updated with a status report of work completed.
- Responsible for diagnosing and repairing light mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic system problems on variety of vehicles and equipment.
- Inspects and repairs light equipment including saws, jackhammers, and weed eaters as directed by the Fleet Maintenance Supervisor.
- Assists in diagnosing mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic system problems on variety of vehicles and equipment.
- Assists the Fleet Maintenance Supervisor in maintaining inventory and records of division supplies including but not limited to vehicle and equipment parts, tools, and daily supplies.
- Assists the Fleet Maintenance Supervisor with the inventory control of city vehicle fuels.
- Performs light housekeeping around the vehicle bays, workplace and shop.
- Assists with snow removal operations and other emergency activities which require occasionally working extended shifts and after normal working hours, including weekends and/or holidays. Typical emergency shifts are twelve hours.
- May assist in installing or modifying electrical wiring, equipment and hardware in public safety vehicles.
Minimum Requirements: Must have a minimum of four (4) years of experience in automotive or diesel tech. An Associate’s degree plus two (2) years of experience would count for equivalent work experience. Municipality fleet experience preferred. Must have or be able to obtain an EPA air-conditioning certification within 6 months of hire. Must obtain a Class B Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) within a designated time approved by the Public Works Superintendent. Must possess a valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record per the City’s drivers Use of Vehicles for City Business policy throughout employment with the City.
Accepting Applications through Monday October 16, 2023
Starting Rate of Pay: $25.00 - $28.00 / hourly, DOQ
(This is a non-exempt benefits eligible position.) *
* Applicants that currently hold a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A or B is eligible to receive a stipend; up to $5,000 for a Class A and up to $3,000 for a Class B.